Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Starting to prep for summer

My summer sewing has officially started. Soon the days are going to be unbearably hot and we're going to have some sweaty, cranky, kids on our hands. Not to mention the cranky mama! I'm not an "enjoy Texas summer heat" kind of gal, that's a special breed of person right there.

We're going to needs lots of tanks, shorts, light dresses, and of course swimsuits for cooling off with sprinklers in the backyard.

So thanks to some recent sew a longs to motivate me, here are the first couple of additions to the kids' summer wardrobe.

The Little Man: The Tank from Fishsticks Designs (free tutorial and pattern). 2T.
And no outer space tank would be complete without a rocket to explore the great unknown! The rocket tag is designed and sold by Night Owl's Menagerie.
 Why a freebie? Why not?! It fits perfectly and it is fast and easy to sew up. You can't beat that! I've used this pattern before, for my daughter, and it has never disappointed. :)

See?

I swear he was trying to give me attitude about posing for a photo!
Don't you just love the tank though? 

Next up...

For Missy: A Crossover Tunic from Jocole. Size 5.
It's supposed to be knee length, but quite thankfully on her it extends to below her knee, which is a much better length for a little girl with zero concern for modesty. ;)
 
This is my first time ever sewing a Jocole pattern, and I wasn't quite sure what to expect.
Here's what I loved:
  • the way her pattern has specific cut and join lines,
  • the 1" square grid goes over the entire pattern, which makes it really easy to tell of the pattern has printed to the correct scale,
  • it was really simple and easy to sew,
  • I love how the binding is done on the neck and sleeves, and she explains how to finish those areas in a variety of other ways including FOE (fold over elastic),
  • the tunic (nightie in this case) fits perfectly without being too snug or too loose in any areas.
I will definitely consider buying another Jocole pattern in the future.

I will, however, consider not allowing the girlie to eat pizza in her brand new nightie again...crossing fingers that sauce comes out in the wash tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This site was made with love by Angie Makes